The celebration of full employment! At least for those of us with jobs. It was ten years ago today that Sarbanes-Oxley snuck up on us. Per the two polls I ran back in May:
– A majority (59%) believe that internal controls was the biggest long-term game-changer, followed by CEO/CFO certifications (27%); Section 16 reporting being cut to 2 business days (16%) and creation of the PCAOB (16%)
– Most people will celebrate by either silently crying in a bathroom stall; banging out an extra memo or watching a Downton Abbey rerun
A member emailed me this nugget: “I saw Mike Oxley on a talk show shortly after Sarbanes-Oxley became law. He was asked to mention some interesting questions posed of him since passage of the Act. He said that several people asked him when it was that he changed his first name to “Mike” from “Sarbanes.” Pretty funny.”
My NY Times Op-Ed on Sarbanes-Oxley
Pretty cool. I had op-ed piece entitled “A Good Step, But Miles to Go” in the NY Times last Wednesday that was part of a quartet of op-eds in this “Room for Debate” series. The other op-eds were penned by PCAOB Chair Jim Doty, former PCAOB Board Member Kayla Gillan and Michael Peregrine of McDermott Will & Emery. Lot of folks emailed me about my groovy old man picture… and more than one member noted that they missed our “Billy Broc” Oxley and Dave “The Animal” Sarbanes video skits.
More on “The Mentor Blog”
We continue to post new items daily on our blog – “The Mentor Blog” – for TheCorporateCounsel.net members. Members can sign up to get that blog pushed out to them via email whenever there is a new entry by simply inputting their email address on the left side of that blog. Here are some of the latest entries:
– A New Insider Trading Approach by the SEC?
– SEC’s Novel Insider Trading Case: No Penalties If No Profit or Loss Avoidance
– Conflict Minerals: House Holds Hearing on Costs and Consequences
– FINRA’s New COBRADesk Goes Live on June 4th: Existing Filings Don’t Migrate
– California to Vote on Corporate Political Contributions Ban
– Broc Romanek