Here’s the intro from this blog by Cooley’s Cydney Posner:
The potential passage of the new tax bill is giving some finance departments conniptions, according to Bloomberg BNA, and they’re hoping that the SEC will address the problem. The SEC? Yes. While companies are happy to see the tax breaks, some companies, especially large multinational companies, are anxious about whether they will be able to accurately determine the impact of the tax changes on their financial statements in time to file their annual and quarterly reports with the SEC. The obvious concern is that, if the SEC doesn’t extend the filing deadline, companies could risk making material misstatements.
According to this article in the WSJ, the “two most time-consuming accounting tasks for CFOs will be estimating the tax liability related to offshore cash and reassessing the value of their deferred tax items.” And there could be unintended consequences, for example, a reduction in deferred tax assets could affect debt covenants, one commentator cited in the article advised. Longer term, commentators suggested, some companies could entirely reconfigure their operations to obtain the greatest tax benefit.
See this MarketWatch piece entitled “These companies will take a huge profit hit from lower tax rates”…
Transcript: “Your Upcoming Pay Ratio Disclosures”
We have posted the transcript for our recent CompensationStandards.com webcast: “Your Upcoming Pay Ratio Disclosures.” Tune in for our next pay ratio webcast on CompensationStandards.com in a few weeks, January 10th: “The Latest: Your Upcoming Pay Ratio & Proxy Disclosures.”
Transcript: “M&A Stories – Practical Guidance (Enjoyably Digested)”
We have posted the transcript for our recent DealLawyers.com webcast: “M&A Stories: Practical Guidance (Enjoyably Digested).” Here are the 15 stories that were told during this program:
1. Dig Your Well Before You Are Thirsty
2. Diligence Isn’t Just About Looking for Problems, But for Opportunities Too
3. Expect the Unexpected
4. Keep Your Eye on the Ball
5. Keep Your Friends Close (And Your Enemies Closer)
6. Strategic Deals Require Creativity & Patience
7. The Speech the Director Never Delivered
8. Another Rat’s Nest
9. Don’t Attempt to Win the Championship Football Game With an All-Star Basketball Team
10. What Does Collegiality Really Mean?
11. The Board Book’s Tale: Bankers, Stick to the Numbers!
12. Preparing for Battle
13. Driving a Deal Is Not Unlike Filming a Movie
14. Assumptions Make an *%$ Out of You & Me
15. A Deal So Nice, We Did it Twice
This program was so popular that we just calendared another “M&A Stories: Practical Guidance (Enjoyably Digested)” for May…
– Broc Romanek