November 29, 2010
ISS’s Final U.S. Postseason Report
Without much fanfare, ISS recently released its final postseason report about the 2010 proxy season – which has a load of interesting statistics – which we have posted in our “Proxy Season” Practice Area.
DOJ Proclaims “New Era” of FCPA Enforcement
Here is news culled from this Morrison & Foerster memo: In a speech last week on the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, the head of the U.S. Department of Justice’s Criminal Division proclaimed a “new era of FCPA enforcement.” Assistant Attorney General Lanny Breuer said enforcement of the FCPA is “stronger than it’s ever been — and getting stronger.” He described “historic” growth in FCPA actions and penalties ($1 billion+ in past 12 months and 35 individuals awaiting trial) and took on critics of the DOJ’s increasingly aggressive enforcement strategies. You “are right to be more concerned.” “We are here to stay.” Mr. Breuer concluded with concrete advice to companies “worried” about the new climate of “vigorous” enforcement, including encouraging companies to self-report.
According to this blog, you shouldn’t be surprised to see NBA star Ben Wallace in law school one day. That would be one mammoth lawyer!
Mailed: November-December Issue of The Corporate Executive
The November-December Issue of The Corporate Executive includes pieces on:
– Trap for the Unwary: Carrying Forward Contributions Under a Section 423 ESPP
– IRS Issues Private Letter Ruling on Division of Restricted Stock Pursuant to Divorce
– Purchase Date as Grant Date: Not a Bad Idea for Purchase Date FMV Only ESPPs
– The Box: Awards Contingent Upon Shareholder Approval of an Additional Allocation of Shares to the Plan
– Section 6039 Forms Expected Any Day Now
– Conducting Risk Assessments–A Step-by-Step Action Plan
– Examples of Effective Say-on-Pay Disclosures
Act Now: Get this issue rushed to you by trying a “Rest of ’10 for Free” No-Risk Trial today.
– Broc Romanek